Thursday 17 May 2012

Tots 100 Book Review - The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year by Sue Townsend



I was so please to of been chosen by the rather lovely Nikki Thomas at @stressymummy to do a book review for the The Tots 100 Book Club. I am an avid reader and enjoy a very wide selection of books. If I have a free afternoon, I love nothing more than sitting in my comfy chair with a cuppa and a good book.
It was my birthday recently and my mum gave me the funniest book to read called The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year.
This book made me chuckle from the very first page.

Eva is a 50 something woman who is at a real cross roads in her life. Her twins have gone off to university and her husband is more interested in where his next meal is coming from to even notice that Eva is about to snap.

The story begins with a spoon covered in Tomato Soup being left on her precious upholstered arm chair. She goes into the kitchen, retrieves the saucepan with the soup in and promptly throws it all over the chair. Then very calmly goes upstairs and gets into bed and that is where she stays....For a Year.

Is Eva having a breakdown or is she as her husband thinks just doing it for attention. Word of Eva's refusal to get out of bed spreads and before long she is receiving letters and gaining quite a fan base.

And, though the world keeps turning and intruding, it is from her bed that she at last begins to understand freedom.

There are some brilliant moments between Eva and her husband as well as the story touching on the lives of her twins at university, and the mysterious but lovely stranger called Alexander.

This book not only made me laugh but made me think how lovely it would be to do what Eva had done and go to bed for a year and think.

I would like to pass this Tots 100 Book Review Baton onto the brilliant @_sarahmiles_ who manages to make me smile on a regular basis and whose blog is fantastic. I hope she enjoys this book which is now being sent to her along with some chocolate from the people at The Tesco Book Club

Other books that I have read recently and loved are...

Poker Face by Jess Sturman Coombs.

Poker Face







A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French .






















3 comments:

  1. What a lovely review and I will definitely be taking a look at this book it sounds like the perfect response to a traumatic situation. I'm thinking of doing the same myself to avoid a plane journey at the weekend! Ugh hate flying sooooo much!

    Thanks for the heads up on a fab read and also, of course, for the wonderful tag, so very much appreciated.

    Jess :-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fab book! I loves the Adrian Mole books and often think that I would love to reread them now as an adult! I will one day but in the meantime, I shall read this one as it sounds like my cup of tea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly interesting and unusual story! I've never heard of the book before but your review certainly made me want to learn more about it.

    Just discovered your blog and am really enjoying it! :D

    --Susan

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx